How to Do the Dumbbell Biceps Curl
The barbell biceps curl exercise targets your biceps, the muscles that you rely on to hold heavy objects and look buff in sleeveless shirts. Use caution if you have elbow or lower back issues.
Performing biceps curls
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand and stand with your feet as wide apart as your buttocks.
- Let your arms hang down at your sides with your palms forward.
- Pull your abdominals in, stand tall, and keep your knees slightly flexed.
- Curl both arms upwards until they’re in front of your shoulders.
- Slowly lower the dumbbells back down.
- Keep your elbows close to your body when doing the barbell biceps curl.
- Strategies for performing biceps curls
- Keep these suggestions in mind while you do this exercise:
- Do not lean back or rock your body forward to help lift the weight.
Fitness alternative: Arm curl machine
- Use the arm curl machine at your gym instead to using dumbbells for this exercise. Follow the following steps to use the arm curl machine:
- Adjust the chair so that when you sit down and stretch your arms straight out, they are level with your shoulders, and your elbows are lined up with the transferring hinge or pulley of this machine.
- Sit down and grasp a handle in each hand with your palms facing upward.
- Bend your elbows and pull on the handles until they are just above your shoulders.
- Gradually lower the grips back down.
- The arm curl machine is a fitness alternative to the barbell curl.